Guilt . . . It’s a feeling we all know. That sinking feeling in the pit of our stomachs. An emotion that is sometimes so hard to let go of. But feeling guilt is not 100% a bad thing. Guilt helps keep us in line and improve our behavior, allowing us to make better decisions in the future.
So yes, it can be beneficial, but that doesn't mean you should let it linger or weigh you down!
So today, I ask you: what do you feel guilty about? And why do you feel guilty?
Typically, we feel guilty when we break the rules of society or our personal morals. Maybe you feel guilty because you can’t make it home for the holidays. Or maybe, you don’t have the financial means to get all of your loved ones a gift.
No matter how guilty you feel or the reasons behind it, understanding how to forgive yourself is key to moving forward on your journey toward your true Oola life.
Try these seven tips below to help you overcome guilt and start practicing acceptance:
- Acknowledge that the guilt exists.
- Practice positive self-talk. Even if the actions were negative, it does not define who you are.
- Figure out the root cause and if there is a reason to feel guilty.
- Remind yourself of the positive things you do for yourself and others.
- Know what’s in your control.
- Understand that perfection doesn’t exist.
- Make amends or learn how you can change your actions in the future to avoid the situation.
I hope this was helpful and that you are able to let go of any burdens. Comment below and let me know your thoughts or if you need some more support in this process. I’d be more than happy to coach you through it.